Sunday, July 12, 2009

5/6/09: Wally World night #1

My first night living Wal-Mart style! I rolled into the parking lot at 9:30 pm and found myself parking next to 8 other RV’s.

Mother Nature had something else on her mind than biking today. I woke up to intense rain in Hood River, spent a few hours at Dog River Coffee shop and decided to start heading south to Bend and drier weather. After being blown nearly off the highway multiple times, I did the touristy thing on the way down and stopped by the Peter Skene Ogden Viewpoint; I even parked in the RV parking lot. This was a deep canyon with 300’ cliff down to the river. Summit didn’t like the sign that read, “many dogs have died here” with a picture of a dog jumping over the guard rail! The second stop was at Smith Rock. This is the classic rock climbing place in Oregon and is a little slice of Moab, UT. A gorgeous area with many rock spires, cliffs, and other great rock formations including the “monkey face.” After a trail run / hike around Smith Rock, we headed down to Bend for the night. Time to finally get two wheels on the trail tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment