Thursday, July 16, 2009

6/24/09: Top quotes heard from behind bars

“Doc, I gotta get a medical note to have a bottom bunk,” said within the first minute of the intake physical from the guy who has been in prison for 4 days and is already in a bottom bunk (he learns the system fast). This was followed 5 minutes later with, “Doc, you gotta clear me for work duty. I need to get a job while I’m here and I worked maintenance before.” All of this for a reported 10 year old meniscus tear in the right knee; a very unique injury that allows you the capability to do any kind of physical labor except to climb into the top bunk in your cell?!?


“Hey Doc, you know I only got 6 more days here,” says the little Asian man with an 8” pointy gray goatee.

“That’s great Mr. XXX. How many years you been down?”

“43 years.”

After the patient had left the room I comment, “He is going to have a difficult time incorporating into the work world. Just think about all the technological advancements in the past 43 years.”
This was followed by an eruption of laughter by both my preceptors and the simultaneous comment that, “He’s never going to work again.”


“Do you think HE has a uterus?” asked my preceptor after pimping me on the biggest concern of prolonged estrogen use. “Uterine cancer” was my knee jerk response, forgetting momentarily the “woman” in front of me was a transgendered person (M to F), sitting in an all male prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment