Sunday, July 12, 2009

5/7/09: Pole Position

Bend is known for its amazing mountain biking, and tomorrow I will be waking up about 50’ from the trail that accesses most of the trails in the area. Not bad.

Today was spent riding the Mrazek trail, basically riding 12 miles up a gradual, but steady grade, on amazing singletrack, finding lots of snow, then bombing back down to the trail head. This trail had great flow, lots of burmed turns, and miles of twisting singletrack. Summit is a trooper, but 12 miles of constant descent after 12 miles of climbing, and the extra 12 miles he runs while I am stationary and taking a break took a toll on him and he was a little slow on the final miles of the ride. I think Summit will get a rest day tomorrow.

There have been a few unexpected problems of being an RV owner, but there have also been some great unexpected perks of owning an RV. Case in point: I come back from a ride all sweaty, dirty, and smelling something less than a bed full of roses; 10 minutes later I am fully showered and ready to hit the town in style. A few minutes after taking a shower I grab the leftover pesto pasta and chicken sitting in the refrigerator and have a full belly; and all of this without leaving the trail head. Pretty damn cool!! Tonight I moved over to a different trailhead and have enough water and supplies to live and shower here for the next few days. I don’t think I will ever go back to living in one of those confining and stationary houses again!!! (I’ll try to remember this feeling when the next RV mishap comes down the road again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment